Which would you prefer?
  • Angled
  • Smoothed

0 voters

Angled on the left and smooth on the right

2 Likes

This is for terrain FYI

1 Like

I don’t really understand what you mean so for now I will abstain from voting.

1 Like

Can we get some terrain samples instead?

3 Likes

Soon, I will be able to provide some screenshots of our own implementation :slight_smile:
Hang tight!

Regards,

7 Likes

Something not working with images

Angled

Smooth

Regards,

5 Likes

Yep definitely angled for me

5 Likes

Now that I see this I’m starting to doubt…
… maybe good old angled is better for terrain after all.
Please add a few pictures from above (birds-eye view), in the sunlight viewing direction, for a better reference (angle of view) .
Thanks in advance :+1: :+1: :smiley:

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s hard to tell for me, personally. I think smoothed will always /look/ better, but for a voxel game where you mine blocks? I’d probably want some in-depth screenshots and perhaps a character moving through a world before I was 100% certain what I’d prefer.

Minecraft is neither. Boundless is angled. Curious how smoothed would work…

4 Likes

This is tough without including the flora and fauna in the mix. Angled is definitely better than just cubed blocks like Minecraft is. Smooth tends to look better from a terrain perspective, at least it looks closer to how the real world looks so it is more comfortable for viewing. Angled though would make it look better after people mine the area since the resulting dug out portions would be cube shaped and would fit better with a more angled approach. It depends also on how digging looks, in a lot of smooth voxel games when you dig it just looks like a divot is removed out of the area, not a cube.

I am undecided, off the cuff I would say smooth looks better but in practice I am not sure which would be more practical. The angled approach is a good compromise between smooth and totally cube shaped terrain. Angled would also be easier for building unless you had a way to turn a smooth voxel space perfectly flat or make it be angled as well.

2 Likes

angled would be easier on your systems, smoothed would be for a time when you can really PUSH the limits. baby steps.

1 Like

I think angeled IS easier to create and perhaps Don t Need AS much resources AS smooth does ?
Personally Like both the question IS which way you wanna Go keep the angled Like all Kind of Games or be different, and what lets you Progress faster perhaps .

Smooth just looks too beautiful to pass up in my opinion. :drooling_face::star_struck:

1 Like

Smooth. 10 char

4 Likes

What about both?

3 Likes

How about both - Surprise us all - teaser perhaps :thinking:

1 Like

That would be awesome to have the choice :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Depending what you are doing you could Switch , Like Mining angled and exploring smooth perhaps :wink::wink::wink:

If both were possible that would be really cool