Cubed Or Not To Cube? That is the question!

So we are looking for some feedback on a question we have.

As it pertains to terrain, would you all prefer Cube Based like boundless or Smooth Voxels like craftopia and still build with cubes?

2 Likes

I would go with all cubes

If there came an option to build with smooth voxels, I would possibly go for the crafttopia approach

If the world was smooth voxels but the building can’t be, it would be less visually appealing to me

2 Likes

Would it keep you from playing?

1 Like

Nope, I would still play! Building would just be a bit funky is all. (Some parts of blocks could be hovering over smooth voxels, which could make the underside of certain builds look less impressive)

The building isn’t too much of a concern, I’m more of a bomb guy

3 Likes

Smooth voxels with square building

4 Likes

I don’t care about anything, I don’t speak English anyway and just hope that the game will be easy to understand, even for people who can’t speak English.

3 Likes

We are planning on having localization at some point for sure!

1 Like

That’s hard to decide on.
I prefer building with cube blocks but having some rounded blocks.

If there aren’t any chisels as in boundless and only craftable blocks as in Minecraft I’d suggest those in addition to plain blocks:

5 Likes

One word: marching cubes algorithm!

Regards,

1 Like

Thats why a project like this could use people such as yourself. Good to get an idea on what other people around the world are interested in! :slight_smile: Welcome to the club!

1 Like

Hard to say, smooth voxels would be nice, if there was a tool or method to level the ground or make the block “snap” to a clean set of lines. When building I like clean lines…be it curves or slopes or other patterns I like the patterns to be clean looking. When looking at the ground and other “natural” environments the smooth voxels would look better.

2 Likes

After seeing both, I prefer the smooth voxels for sure.

2 Likes

I always liked smooth personally. I was always a fan of 7 Days 2 Die and its terrain. Granted it was more realistic and less alien-like.

3 Likes

Smooth voxel terrain would be very nice :+1:

3 Likes

I think with 7 Days 2 Die and the like they used props to construct things instead of voxels. Smooth works better for general “natural” things like terrain and creatures. For building I would prefer sharp clean lines. Landmark made the mistake of trying to build everything using smooth voxels and blended textures that made buildings look like they were melted because it did not differentiate between what was constructed and what was natural terrain. Even Landmark resorted to props since the voxel engine they used could not handle precision.

3 Likes

Hence the requirement of having both natural terrain and blocky construction - this is every player’s dream. And there is no single perfect algorithm which can do LoD and blocky construction on natural terrain at the same time. There are some quirks - but as long as we can overcome those…

Regards,

2 Likes

I agree with @SClayton. I too prefer building with cubes but like a few extra options.

2 Likes