Blueprinting System

If I had to pick one thing from another building game to include in a Boundless reboot, by far and away I’d have to say a good blueprinting system like what Creativerse has would be my pick. As Boundless started to stagnate, I started to get back into and try out other games more… the only one that has grabbed me to the degree Boundless has is CV, and the blueprints are a huge part of the reason why. Being able to easily share builds, and copy your own, is a huge hook. I’ve got a lot of building projects going now as the feedback I’ve gotten from sharing builds in the community has been such a great motivator, really given me a big boost.

Question would be, for a game with Boundless’ economy, how to do the auto-building part, since CV’s wouldn’t be fair in it. Best I can think of so far is a Blueprint Beacon that you could feed the needed mats into (in any color, and a bit at a time) and it would auto-fill as you do. Regular beacons could be toggled to not allow any copying on them (so work doesn’t get stolen) and anything built with a Blueprint Beacon (even one block from one, would have to tag the blocks somehow) also couldn’t be copied would be a way to allow it to give builders an economic niche selling them without having them stolen.

A tall order, something that would maybe be a longer term goal on the roadmap? But very worth considering I believe. Check out the game and workshop to get a feel for it for sure if interested at all (FTP version should work to see this stuff)… there are some other things in the game too like block rotation and programmable NPCs that would probably do very nicely in a Boundless reboot - I’ve said a few times to people that if you somehow combined the two games, you’d have my perfect game, haha.

4 Likes

Everyone in the core team and the community at large has been making this ask of Boundless for years. It is definitely a down the road functionality but I believe it is a must even if it takes a year or two to get the functionality perfected. Blueprints is complex but not impossible.
I second it for sure and your other ideas around it are great!

4 Likes

YES!!1 We need this for lazy builders like myself! Create a blue print, places building down, as long as materials are on hand, boom. Insta building :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Actually it would have to assembled over time maybe 1 to 2 minutes per plot. Else you risk overloading the server if say 20 people start their blueprint building building on 100 plots.

1 Like

It would be cool to be able to sell blueprints also

2 Likes

Blueprints would be cool but so would 1 chisel that does all styles of chiseling with the click of a button :slight_smile: or a machine that chisel changes for you.

2 Likes

Minecraft has a blueprint system that was pretty cool too. See if I can grab some screens from it.

I just threw up a server for modded MC that I’m going to grab some screenshots from some mods that we can really use for inspiration. I’ll create a post for it.

1 Like

I like the idea of little construction robots building your blueprints like in Factorio. Add the feedstock to your beacon and they grab it and plop it down and maybe even chisel it. You’d need to build the robots, of course.

1 Like

loot-able blueprints yes for higher teir items. anything past lowest tier common gem.

i got sick of hitting K to see what i could make and never actually working for the ability to make it. post game we played was way too easy to make something anyone under lvl 100 should be able to make.

2 Likes